Network Switches and knowledge Transfer Speeds | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
freemexy Feb 14
I lately upgraded my house network from 100 Mb/s to at least one Gb/s by replacing the switches. The primary house switch is definitely an unmanaged 1U rack-mounted switch,Wireless Routers having a second desktop switch. From pure interest, I required the chance to perform a bit of speed testing to determine the amount of a positive change upgrading the switches made when it comes to actual bandwith speeds.

100 Mb/s and 1 Gb/s make reference to the rate from the underlying technology but data transfers at these minute rates are never achieved due to protocol overheads and the like. Like a baseline, basically write a sizable file (8 GB) to my PC's local disk, I recieve an information change in between 50-55 MB/s.

On my small network, I've two Zoysia Linkstation NAS devices, one having a Fast Ethernet interface and something having a Gigabit Ethernet interface. 2 GB's price of data could be written to all these devices with various Ethernet switches in position to determine what actual bandwith speeds could be achieved. The next Linux command was utilized five occasions in every situation and also the result averaged.

With Gigabit Ethernet only, I authored to both NAS devices simultaneously. The information transfer speeds were unaffected.

I connected the 2 Gigabit Ethernet switches in series and authored towards the NAS. Transfer speeds were reduced by 1 MB/s around the Gigabit NAS to twenty MB/s. The modification around the Fast Ethernet NAS was minimal.

There are many things that may be deduced in the information proven within the table above and yet another tests.

Actual bandwith minute rates are significantly under the theoretical maximums.

There's no performance distinction between rack-mounted and desktop switches.

The write speed from the NAS could be a restricting factor.

Gigabit Ethernet switches give large enhancements with Gigabit Ethernet devices.

Gigabit Ethernet switches give small enhancements despite Fast Ethernet devices.

Keep the amount of switches within the network path low.
Share: